Dr Raj Persad
Raj Persad is a specialist Consultant Urological Surgeon in Bristol and a Senior Clinical Lecturer at the University of Bristol.
He has many years of surgical experience and belongs to only a handful of urological surgeons in the UK who have been thoroughly trained in the technique of microsurgical reversal of vasectomy. He uses an anastomotic technique which is recognised by experts as the one which offers the best chance of success. Using the microscope he is able to adapt the operation to even the most difficult situations to get the best results. For example if there is excessive scarring of the vas from previous surgery or if the anatomical site of the previous vasectomy is too close to the testis he can perform a microsurgical connection of the vas directly on to the epididymis of the testis.
He performs at least 150 of these procedures each year and his overall results indicate a 90% surgical success rate for restoring the passage of sperm.
Specialty - Urology
Other subspecialist interests include
- Andrology and Male sexual health
- Urological Oncology
- Prostate cancer, Prostatitis and BPH
- Peyronies disease
Other special clinical interests (cont) - The minimally invasive treatment of Pelvic cancer with special reference to prostate cancer and Bladder cancer. He also has a great deal of experience in andrology and offers a full range of operative and non-operative treatment options for erectile problems in the male. This includes both penile corrective surgery and penile prosthesis insertion.
- Improving outcomes of Male Fertility surgery
- Detection of early prostate cancer and screening tools
- Immunotherapy for urological cancers
- High Intesity Focused Ultrasound (HIFU) and modern approaches to treatment of prostate cancer
Current NHS and university posts
- Consultant Urologist Bristol Royal Infirmary
- Honorary Consultant Urologist Southmead Hospital
- Honorary Senior Clinical Lecturer, University of Bristol
- Honorary Professor of Medicine, Pittsburgh University, USA
Year of first medical qualification - 1983
Current membership of professional, national and regional bodies
- Executive member, British Association of Urolgical surgeons Section of Oncology
- Tutor in Surgical Skills, Royal College of Surgeons of England
- Executive Board Member, British Prostate Group
- Principal Investigator, Chief investigator and Collaborator in many national and international studies including, MRC, NCRN & European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer (EORTC) Clinical Trials.
Senior Clinician in Urology at University Hospitals Bristol NHS Foundation Trust. Trained in London, Bristol, Cambridge, Johns Hopkins (USA), Innsbruck (Austria) and Lund (Sweden). In addition to University and clinical commiiments much time is spent visiting units in the developing world teaching and training junior doctors and healthcare professionals in his specialist areas of interest.
Through our office at the Bristol Urology Associates we would be happy to help with further information and to help make your treatment as free from stress as possible.(tel 0117 980 4118, or 0117 970 7040/1; email email@example.com)Top